>Synopsis: ATA DMA fails and vx0 creates panic
>Arrival-Date: Fri Oct 31 14:00:36 PST 2003
>Originator: Mats Dufberg
>Release: FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE i386
Pentium 150MHz on a ASUS P55TP4N motherboard with built-in ATA
controller. On the primary channel there is a Seagate 4GB disk
(ST34311A/8.01, ATA/ATAPI rev 4). On the secondary channel there is an
ATAPI CD-ROM unit (ATAPI CDROM/V130B, ATA/ATAPI rev 0).
On the PCI bus there is a 3COM Etherlink III PCI card (3C590).
FreeBSD 5.1 installed.
With FreeBSD 5.1 installed I encountered two problems:
1. The disk IO is very bad, and both dmeg and atacontrol reports that
both disk and CD-ROM are running in BIOSPIO (PIO0) mode even though
both motherboard and hard disk supports DMA mode.
2. As soon as I tried to configure the vx 3COM Ethernet card the
After reinstalling the computer with FreeBSD 4.8-RELEASE all problems
1. The disk is running in WDMA2 mode (and is much faster).
2. The CD ROM is running in PIO4 mode.
3. The vx card can be configured and works without any seen problems.
No change of hardware was done in between.