On Sunday 05 June 2005 09:22, the author email@example.com
contributed to the dialogue on- eclipse Bugzilla 98443 Help File System
[Bug 98443] Help file does not function
------- Additional Comments From firstname.lastname@example.org 2005-06-05 13:47 -------
FreeBSD is not the supported OS for Eclipse 3.1.
1 The broken help file bug applies not to just FreeBSD OS but to other OS's.
Itm seems to be a bug that may have repercussion for any OS.
2. This is meant to be a Java source tree the whole virtue of that is that the
project should be free of operating system constraints.
3. eclipse is now, according to my understanding, an open source project and
as such there are no rules such as "FreeBSD is not the supported OS" for an
open source project. It is either open source - in which case the open source
community includes all OS's or not. Just because ibm donated the eclipse code
to the open source, does not in my view, mean that the concerns of other OS
users can be ethically abandoned.
4. I can ubnderstand someone saying "I have no personal experience with
FreeBSD" but the debug information includes java event details which are
certainly platform independent.
5. Cazn you therefore please comment on what the java event details tell you
and if there arre some operating system implications then the freebsd ports
maintainers can look at that side of the issue.
6. Can we please have some fun and co-operation within the open source
community from which we all benefit and to which we all contribute.
40 yrs navigating and computing in blue waters.
English Owner & Captain of British Registered 60' bluewater Ketch S/V Taurus.
Currently in San Diego, CA. Sailing May/June bound for Europe via Panama