OpenBSD Multimedia Resources List
Links on this page refer to multimedia resources (podcast, vodcast,
audio recordings, video recordings, photos) related to OpenBSD or
of interest for OpenBSD users.
This list is available as chronological
overview, as a tag cloud and
via the sources.
This list is also available as RSS feed
If you know any resources not listed here, or notice any dead links,
please send details to
Edwin Groothuis so that
it can be included or updated.
Why I like the CLI
Added: 01 September 2007
Tags: bsdtalk, cli, will backman
Ogg version (12 minutes), MP3 version (6 Mb, 12 minutes)
Why I like the CLI:
- Uses minimal resources. Less space, less memory, fewer dependencies.
- Transparency. GUI hides internals, limits options.
- Similar between Unix-like systems. GUI tools seem to change every week.
- Remote management. SSH rocks.
- Everything is text. Configs, devices, output. CLI is natural complement.
- Pipes and scripts. One time is hard, a thousand times is easy.
- Only need a few tools. Grep, sed, awk, vi, cron.
- Text config files. Easy to version, share, and comment.
- Requires reading skills instead of clicking skills.
- Much faster when you know what you are doing.